Skip to Content | Skip to Search | Skip to Navigation

Ph.D. FAQ

What about health insurance for me and my family?

If a student has an appointment for 15 hours or more per week, s/he is eligible for Student Academic Appointee health insurance from Anthem Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The policy is 85 percent subsidized by the University. The Health Center fee, billed at the time of registration, constitutes the remaining 15 percent. For those students with qualifying academic appointments and fellowships, the cost of health insurance is 100 percent subsidized by the University and SPEA. Policy coverage runs from August 15 through August 14 of the following year. Spouses and children can be added to the policy at additional cost; dependent payments are billed on a six-payment cycle. Eligible students will receive more information from the SPEA Personnel Office (812-855-3648) each September. There is also a Student Health Insurance Orientation Session held each September.

I’m an international student.  Where can I find out about services for international students on the Indiana University campus?

The Office of International Services provides comprehensive assistance and support for approximately 5,000 international students and 1,500 international faculty and staff all campuses of Indiana University.

How do I find out about parking at Indiana University?

The IU Parking Operations office has a comprehensive listing of who is eligible for permits to park on campus, and what kind of parking is available.

I’m trying to sign up for a class, but am being told I need special authorization.  How do I get that?

If you are an Environmental Sciences PhD candidate, please contact Becky Snedegar. If you are in the Public Policy or Public Administration program, please contact Donna Pritchett. They will be able to help you get the appropriate permissions.

What are the beginning and end dates of the academic year at IU?

You can get the dates for all upcoming semesters at the
IU Office of the Registrar.

How will I know which forms I need to complete at what time during my time in the PhD program at SPEA?

There are a number of forms that you will need to complete during your time at SPEA.  Your best bet, if you are an Environmental Sciences PhD candidate, please contact Becky Snedegar. If you are in the Public Policy or Public Administration program, please contact Donna Pritchett. They will help you through the process!