Professor Félix-Brasdefer and IU study-abroad students in Mexico City
Study Abroad Opportunities in Spanish and Portuguese
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese works with the Office of Overseas Studies at IU to offer a diverse and exciting range of study abroad opportunities. Students on approved IU study abroad programs can get substantial numbers of their Spanish and Portuguese major and minor course requirements satisfied, as well as other course equivalents in many other departments.
If you are Going Abroad... (Procedures for getting department credit for overseas studies courses)
If you are planning to study abroad soon and would like to get credit for your courses in Spanish and Portuguese, please contact the Spanish advisor, Sioux Hill, for an appointment (call 855-1157). Click here for an explanation of the procedures you must follow in order to get approval for the courses you wish to count toward your minor/major in Spanish or Portuguese. If you plan to do study abroad in Portuguese, you should also speak to the Portuguese Program Director about your plans.
The Office of Overseas Study currently features a wide range of programs of interest to students in Spanish and Portuguese (as well as opportunities for studying Catalan and Quechua). Please note that each program is designed to suit the needs of different levels of language and coursework level. For full details on these programs, including application requirements, see the Office of Overseas Study website. Note that the listing of programs includes four summer programs: Cuernavaca, Mexico; Guanajuato, Mexico; Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic; and Salamanca, Spain.
- Lima, Peru (IU-administered/Pontificia Universidad Católica del Peru). Fall and/or spring semester; full academic year.
- Cuernavaca, Mexico (IU/ITESM). Summer program (May 27 to July 7).
Other IU Co-Sponsored Programs:
- Buenos Aires, Argentina (CIEE/FLACSO, Univ. de Buenos Aires and Pontificia Universidad Católica Argentina). Fall and/or spring semester; full academic year.
- Bahia, Brazil (CIEE/Universidde Catolica do Salvador). Fall and/or spring semester; full academic year.
- São Paulo, Brazil (CIEE/Pontificia Universidade Catolica de São Paulo). Fall and/or spring semester; full academic year.
- Santiago, Chile (CIEE/Universidad de Chile and Pontificia Universidad Católica). Fall and/or spring semester; full academic year.
- Valparaíso, Chile (CIEE/Universidad Católica de Valparaíso). Fall and/or spring semester.
- Monteverde, Costa Rica (CIEE) semester.
- Quito, Ecuador (IES). Fall, spring or summer semester; full academic year.
- Santiago, Dominican Republic (CIEE/Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra). Fall and/or spring semester.
- Jarabacoa, Dominican Republic (CIC/U. of Iowa). Summer program (June 15 to Aug. 6).
- Guanajuato, Mexico (CIC/U. of Iowa). Summer program (June 12 to Aug. 7).
Spain and Portugal:
Students from the IU Madrid Program on Excursion to Extremadura
- Aranjuez, Spain. (IU) Summer.
- Madrid, Spain. (IU and University of Madrid, Complutense). Academic year or spring semester.
Other IU Co-Sponsored Programs:
- Alcalá, Spain (CIEE/Instituto Universitario de Investigacíon en Estudios Northamericanos de la Universidad de Alcalá). Summer.
- Alicante, Spain. (CIEE/ University of Alicante). Fall and/or spring semester.
- Barcelona, Spain (IES/IES Business/Universidad de Pompeu Fabra). Fall and/or spring semester.
- Barcelona, Spain (CIEE/Universidad de Barcelona). Fall and/or spring semester.
- Seville, Spain (CIEE/University of Sevilla). Two programs: Language and Society; and Liberal Arts. Fall and/or spring semester.
- Madrid, Spain (IES). Fall and/or spring semester.
- Salamanca, Spain (IES/University of Salamanca). Fall and/or spring semester, summer program (July 2 to Aug. 13).
Other CIEE-Sponsored Programs:
- Lisbon, Portugal (CIEE). Fall and/or spring semester.