We welcome applications to the M.A. or Ph.D. Programs in Hispanic Linguistics, Hispanic Literatures, and Portuguese. Students who wish to pursue the M.A. and Ph.D. should indicate in the statement of purpose their desire to continue on to the Ph.D. All applicants will be considered for full funding.
The application deadline for admission in this coming fall’s class is January 15 for domestic applicants/permanent residents, and December 1 for international applicants. Please note that the Department only admits new students in the fall. Completion of the online application is preferred.
Please submit the following materials by the above deadlines:
1. Completed application form - Students may submit either the paper or online application (online preferred). For international students who choose to submit a paper copy, please send your application directly to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese. Your application will then be forwarded to the Office of International Admissions. Both international and domestic students may submit an online application. Please be sure to have a credit card if applying online.
2. Statement of Purpose - Provide a statement (approximately 500 words) that identifies your academic goals (graduate study and research), career objectives, why you are applying to this program, and the qualifications that make you a strong candidate for this program.
3. GRE Scores (Graduate Record Exam) - Required of both native and non-native English speakers. These scores must be sent directly to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese by the Educational Testing Service. Institutional code: 1324; Dept. code: 2608.
4. TOEFL Scores (Test of English as a Foreign Language): Regardless of citizenship and residency status, the university requires all non-native English speakers to submit TOEFL scores. Students must take the international version of the exam (iBT or PBT). A cumulative score of at least 79-80 on the Internet based exam (213 on the computer based exam, or 550 on the paper exam) is required.
5. Letters of Recommendation - Please have three recommenders (preferably tenure-track or tenured professors) who are familiar with your academic performance submit up-to-date letters of recommendation on your behalf to the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.
6. Transcripts - Official transcripts of academic work from all previous institutions must be submitted. Transcripts must be sent directly from each academic institution; student copies are not accepted. For international institutions attended, please see that an English translation accompanies each transcript.
7. Writing Sample - Required of M.A. and Ph.D. Hispanic literature applicants only. Please submit a sample of your academic writing in Spanish (for example, a course or seminar paper).
Submit application materials to:Indiana University
Department of Spanish & Portuguese
Graduate Studies Office
Ballantine Hall 850
1020 East Kirkwood Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7103
The on-line application to the program is preferred. If you have any questions about your application, please feel free to contact the Graduate Office by email or phone. You may also find further information by visiting the University Graduate School's Admissions website.
For your convenience, we have provided a list of useful resources to help in your application process:
- Admissions check-list sheet
- 2013-2014 University Graduate School Bulletin
- The University Graduate School
- Application Forms
- GRE Information
- TOEFL Information