Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. Accomplishments & Achievements
We are often called the Fraternity of African Presidents, King, and Princes. We weren’t the first African-American Greek-Letter Fraternity to be founded…However, we are definitely the Fraternity of Firsts…
- First Fraternity to have Presidents of other countries in its membership (Hon. Bros. Kwame Nkrumah, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe, and Nelson Mandela). No other Fraternity Except within NPHC can even claim a nation’s President in its membership.
- First and ONLY African-American Greek-Letter Fraternity to have one of its members on the face of a U.S. coin (Bro. Dr. George Washington Carver: The 1951 Half Dollar).
- First Greek-Letter Fraternity to be recognized by Howard University, April 15, 1914 (Omega Psi Phi Fraternity was not recognized until October 28, 1914).
- First to establish a youth auxiliary program (Sigma Beta Club).
- First to own and operate a Credit Union for its members
- First to establish chapters in the Continent of Africa
- First to establish Graduate/Alumni Membership
- First to use the cane…(it was used for style).
- First to use the Dogmatic Image (not the Q’s)
- First to come with the idea for a unified African-American Greek-Letter Council, later developed into NPHC (National Pan-Hellenic Council).
- Lastly, many Fraternities may have supported the Million-Man March, buy only Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. can lay claim to not only supporting, but also sponsoring the March in its International Headquarters.
If you didn’t know…now you know!!!
Often IMITATED, but never DUPLICATED