Human Subjects Office
- Phone: 812-856-4242 or
- Email: IRB@IU.edu
Prior to arriving at IU
- Review the IU Standard Operating Procedures for Research Involving Human Subjects available on the Human Subjects Guidance page.
- Ensure you will be eligible to serve as Principal Investigator.
See the Human Subjects Investigator Requirements page
- For any open studies which you intend to transfer to IU, please contact the Human Subjects Office directly for further guidance via the contact information to the right of this page. Information regarding the funding source, enrollment status, recruitment of subjects at IU, and the transfer of any biological samples to IU should be provided.
- If you already have your IU email address, complete the following:
- Annual Conflict of Interest Disclosure (COI) form AND
- The appropriate Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) course for your area of research (Biomedical Researcher – Stage 1 OR Social/Behavioral Researchers – Stage 1)
- Instruct all other researchers and staff that you anticipate will be listed on your study to complete the above COI and CITI requirements. For further information regarding which personnel should complete this, see the Human Subjects Investigator Requirements page.
- Contact the IU Human Subjects Office (HSO) for any IRB related questions via the contact information to the right of this page.
After arrival at IU
- If you receive your email address upon arrival, you can now complete COI and CITI requirements if not done previously.
- Sign up for Office of Research Administration email updates on the Research News E-mail Service page.
- If you hire any other researches and/or staff that will be listed in your IRB submission, you can now have them complete the COI and CITI requirements
- You may now submit your new study to the Human Subjects Office (HSO) for IRB review. Please see the Human Subjects Submission page on the HSO website for specifics on the IRB submission process.
- Your IRB submission will be reviewed by HSO staff and by a member of the IRB. If further information is needed from you during the review process, you will be contacted by a member of the HSO staff.
Once your submission is determined to be complete:
- Full Board reviews will be assigned to the next available IRB meeting based on area of research (Social/Behavioral or Biomedical) and Board expertise.
- Expedited research will be reviewed by a member of the IRB outside of a convened IRB meeting
- Exempt research will be reviewed by a member of the HSO staff
Throughout Research Career at IU
- All changes to IRB approved research should be made via amendment prior to implementation into the study. See the Human Subjects Amendments page.
- Submit Full Board and Expedited research for annual continuing review (every two years for some expedited research).
- Annually submit your Conflict of Interest Disclosure (COI) form
- Renew your CITI training every three years)
- Maintain familiarity with the IU IRB SOPs available on the Human Subjects Guidance page.
- Be aware of changes to HSO policy and procedures communicated through the ORA news email updates and on the HSO website
- For any questions or concerns, contact the HSO via the contact information to the right of this page or contact the staff member assigned to your department directly.