Academics » International Visiting Artists and Scholars »
Program for International Visiting Scholars (PIVS)
Collins initially developed the PIVS program together with the Department of History and Philosophy of Science to bring international visiting scholars to teach during the first eight-week session each fall semester. We have now expanded the program to involve other departments in the College.
Upcoming Visiting Scholar
Kathleen Vongsathorn, Germany, Spring 2014
Dr. Vongsathorn has worked at the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science in Berlin, Germany, since finishing her doctorate at the University of Oxford. She researches on the history of medical humanitarianism in Africa, and has worked particularly on leprosy and maternal and child health issues. While writing her thesis on missionary leprosy settlements in colonial Uganda she spent many summers travelling to remote areas by bus, canoe, and motorcycle to meet with elderly leprosy patients, and to search for records in attics, basements, and cupboards at leprosy hospitals, churches, and old government offices.
Past Visiting Scholars
- Thomas Bilczewski, Poland, Fall 2012.
- Course title: Trauma and Memory in Central European Culture
- Susanne Bauer, Germany, Fall 2011.
- Course title: Atomic Challenges: Biomedicine and Nuclear Science During the Cold War
- Jochen Büttner, Germany, Fall 2010.
- Course title: Astronomical Knowledge: From the Nebra Sky Disk to the Copernican System
- Christina Brandt, Germany, Fall 2009.
- Course title: On the History of Cloning: Concepts and Practices in 20th Century Life Sciences and Culture