Indiana University Bloomington

Academics » Prospective Instructors » FAQ

How much will I be paid?

Associate Instructor appointments in Collins are .50FTE Student Academic Appointments. Appointments include fee remission, health insurance, and a stipend of $7,875. Per campus policy, student academic appointees are limited to .50 FTE, meaning Associate Instructors in Collins may not hold additional appointments of any sort. For advice on this topic, contact the Assistant Director at 812-856-3025.

We are unable to hire graduate students from outside of the College or IU staff members for teaching at Collins.

NOTE: Collins also offers 1 and 2 credit courses. For more information, contact the Collins Director. The pay is as follows:

$2,500 2-credit seminar or Options course
$1,250 1-credit Options course

» Back to top.

When should my class meet?

Even if you’re an early bird, we don’t recommend scheduling Collins classes before 9:00 a.m. Most of our classes run between 10:10 a.m. and 4:50 p.m. If a course requires film screenings, those screenings will often be scheduled for an early evening hour.

For 100 and 200 level courses, we encourage instructors to schedule three meetings per week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday). For many freshmen and sophomores, it's important to touch base with their instructors and receive direction and feedback on a frequent basis.

300 level courses may be scheduled for twice-per-week meetings (Tuesday and Thursday). Exceptions might be a 100 or 200 level course with a required meeting outside class time (for example, a weekly film showing), or a course that requires time-intensive work on special projects between class meetings. Conversely, if an upper-level course has a particularly heavy reading load, more frequent class meetings can be beneficial to help students keep on top of the work.

Collins’ Associate Director can help you work out a schedule for your course that will work best for you and your students.
» Back to top.

How will students find out about my course?

Your course will be listed on OneStart under the department heading "CLLC" for Collins Living-Learning Center. A number of the 100 and 200 level courses also now count for General Education credit. In some cases, departments allow majors to take Collins seminars for credit in the major. If you think your department might agree to do this, we urge you to approach the director of undergraduate studies.

Board of Educational Programming (BOEP) members and the Collins staff promote courses within Collins. Promotion elsewhere on campus is the responsibility of the instructor.

We strongly encourage instructors to publicize their courses to their own departments, related departments, and academic advisors.

Fliers, informational meetings, in-class announcements, email, websites, and personal contact are all effective methods for promoting your course.

We will ask you to design a course flier that will be used to advertise your course. The fliers will be posted inside Collins; we urge you to take extras and post them in relevant academic buildings. The Collins staff can help you design a flier, if needed, and reasonable duplicating expenses will be covered by Collins. We would also be happy to host informational sessions or other promotional events (such as a lecture or workshop) in one of our public meeting spaces.

If you are concerned about low enrollment in your course, contact Collins’ staff.
» Back to top.

Do Collins classes have a minimum or maximum enrollment?

Minimum enrollment for most Collins courses is 10.

If at least 10 students are not enrolled four weeks prior to the beginning of the semester (or one week before the course begins, for 2nd 8 weeks courses), the course may need to be cancelled. We occasionally offer undersubscribed classes as 2nd 8-week courses but are not eager to do so.

Maximum enrollment for most Collins courses is 20 students. This relatively small size is supported by the College, and we believe it helps to maintain the high quality of student-teacher and student-student interaction for which Collins courses are known.

If you feel there are special circumstances that may require a different minimum or maximum enrollment for your course, please describe these in your course proposal and discuss them during your BOEP interview.
» Back to top.

Once my course is approved, is it guaranteed to run?

Once your course has been approved by the Collins Faculty Curriculum Committee, if the course meets the minimum enrollment requirement of 10 students, it will be offered.
» Back to top.

How do I know who’s registered in my course?

You may access your roster on the OnCourse site for your class, or on OneStart (under "Faculty Tools" or "Staff Tools," depending on your IU status).

Be sure to print out your own roster for the first day of class.
» Back to top.

How will I receive mail?

All Collins instructors have a mailbox in the Collins Duty Office (off the Edmondson Formal Lounge). Please check it before or after each class. You may receive some duplicate campus mailings here, but you will also receive Collins announcements and other relevant material. You may also use your mailbox as a drop-off point for students to turn in homework or return borrowed materials.
» Back to top.

How do I order textbooks and course readers?

- Textbooks: Visit the IU Textbook Requisition Page to place your textbook order or indicate that you'll be using a reader.

Even if you are not ordering anything, please complete the online form to indicate that.

- Course readers: Course reader (course packet) orders should be sent to Custom Publishing (855-9337 or They will take care of clearing copyrights for your readings, duplicating books, and distributing them to local bookstores.
» Back to top.

What if my students need access to special books or materials?

You may purchase books, DVDs, subscriptions, and other materials that will be made available to your students at the Collins Library from your instructional support budget (usually $400 for a 3-credit course; prorated for others), or submit a proposal to BOEP to fund these purchases.

Be sure to speak with Collins’ Assistant Director before making any purchases.
» Back to top.

May I take my class on field trips?

Please do! Each course has an instructional support budget intended to encourage experiential learning, including field trips. If you have a major trip planned (for example, out-of-state or overnight), the Collins staff will help you organize it.

Additional funding is available for major trips. Among the places Collins classes have visited are the Art Institute and Newberry Library in Chicago, the Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, DC, and the International Dada Archives at the University of Iowa. Classes have also attended conferences on various topics, such as Animé and Star Trek.

Many classes take day trips to resources in Indianapolis and elsewhere within the state as well.
» Back to top.

I'm planning to have several guest speakers. May I pay them?

Any guest speakers who are on IU payroll cannot be paid for class visits. For those who are not on IU payroll, we can provide a thank-you gift in the form of a gift certificate to a local or national bookstore from your instructional support budget. (If a different store or source would be more appropriate for your speaker, just let us know.) Please let the Collins Assistant Director know at least a week in advance that you will need a gift certificate.
» Back to top.

What may I spend my instructional support budget on? Am I limited to a certain amount?

The instructional support budget is intended to provide funding for experiential learning activities, guest speakers, supplemental instructor materials, culminating activities, and other projects and supplies that will enhance students' learning.

It is funded by the living-learning center fee paid by Collins residents, and provided courtesy of the student Board of Education Programming that selected your course.

NOTE: Student textbooks and student supplies are not covered by the instructional support budget; students are expected to purchase their own textbooks and supplies.

The support budget for 3-credit courses is generally $400 per semester. You will be given a budget when you are appointed to teach. All expenditures must go through Collins’ Assistant Director; if you have any question about whether an expense will be allowed, just ask.

If you have a special project or purchase that will take you over budget, you may submit a proposal to request additional funding from BOEP. Experiential learning is strongly encouraged at Collins; it is an important part of what makes our courses unique. We will do whatever is needed to facilitate your planning.
» Back to top.

How should I make copies of my syllabus and other materials?

You may have your syllabus and other short class handouts copied in the Duty Office. Please bring in your materials at least two days before you plan to distribute them. If you have lengthy handouts, please submit them as a course packet for students to purchase at the bookstore or put them on OnCourse.
» Back to top.

How do I get access to rooms and equipment at Collins?

- Rooms and Keys: All three classrooms are open during the day; no key is needed. The Cravens classrooms are locked in the evening; you may sign out a key at the Center Desk in Edmondson. You will also need to sign out a key if you have any events scheduled in the Clubhouse. (Use of any of the rooms outside your scheduled class time is by request; you may also schedule larger spaces, such as the Coffeehouse, for special events; contact Collins’ Assistant Director for more information.) PLEASE RETURN KEYS IMMEDIATELY AFTER YOUR EVENT.

- AV Equipment: There is standard media equipment in each classroom. For more information, call the Associate Director at 812-855-7354. Please do a trial run before class with any of the equipment you haven't used before. Make sure all equipment is left as you found it before leaving.
» Back to top.

What should I do if I'm sick and must cancel class?

Call the Student Services Assistant in the Duty Office (855-9815). If no one is available, you may call the Assistant Director (856-3025), the Associate Director (855-7354), or the Center Desk (855-5553) and request that a notice be written on the blackboard in your classroom. Please also send an email message to your students through Oncourse or OneStart.
» Back to top.

What should I do about students who are not on my roster?

You may have students show up during the first week of class who are not on your roster. If there are fewer than 20 in your class, and you feel the students can catch up with the work completed so far, they may certainly join the class. Our general policy is that students who attend class need to be registered (i.e., no "sitting in").  Please do your best to maintain the high quality of interaction for which Collins classes are known by not over-enrolling your course.
» Back to top.