May 16-20, 2001. The Kinsey Institute at Indiana University.
This workshop brought together researchers with various perspectives
on child and adolescent sexuality. The goal is to produce a consensus
document on normal sexual development.
- methodological issues in studying child sexuality.
- what should be regarded as "normal unproblematic childhood sexuality".
- how do we best account for variablility in sexual expression among
- how do such sexual experiences affect adolescent sexuality.
- how does sexual contact between adults and children cause trauma and
long term problems for the child.
- what are the factors that distinguish between good outcomes and bad
for children who have sexual contact with adults.
- to what extent does the sexual behavior of the child relevant to sexual
exploitation by adults.
- J. Michael Bailey, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Psychology, Northwestern
- Judith Becker, Ph.D., Professor of Clinical Psychology in the Department
of Psychiatry at the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences, University
- Christopher R. Browning, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Sociology at
the Ohio State University.
- Joseph Catania, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Division of General Internal
Medicine, Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California,
- John Delamater, Ph.D., Chair of the Department of Sociology at the
University of Wisconsin.
- Peggy Dolcini, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine,
and Center for AIDS Prevention Studies, University of California, San
- Anke Ehrhardt, Ph.D., Director of the HIV Center for Clinical and
Behavioral Studies at the New York State Psychiatric Institute and Columbia
- Margaret Feerick, Ph.D., Developmental psychologist with a research
background in child maltreatment and family violence.
- David Finkelhor, Ph.D., Director of the Crimes against Children Research
Center, Co-Director of the Family Research Laboratory and Professor
of Sociology at the University of New Hampshire.
- Dennis Fortenberry, M.D., Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Section
of Adolescent Medicine, Indiana University Medical Center.
- William Friedrich, Ph.D., Professor of Clinical Psychology, Mayo Medical
School, and Clinical Director, Child and Family Services, Mayo Psychiatry
and Psychology Treatment Center.
- Cynthia Graham, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology
in Department of Psychiatry, Indiana University Medical School, and
Adjunct Assistant Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology,
- Debby Herbenick, Research Associate at the Kinsey Institute.
- Julia Heiman, Ph.D., Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral
Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle.
- Janet Shibley Hyde, Ph.D., Chair of the Department of Psychology at
the University of Wisconsin and Professor of Psychology and Women's
- Philip Jenkins, Ph.D., Professor of History and Religious Studies,
Pennsylvania State University.
- Douglas Kirby, Ph.D., Senior research Scientist at ETR Associates
- Edward O. Laumann, Ph.D., Professor of Sociology at the University
- William Marshall, Ph.D., Professor of Psychology and Psychiatry and
an Associate Professor of Urology at Queen's University in Canada.
- Heino Meyer-Bahlburg, Ph.D., Professor of Clinical Psychology in the
Department of Psychiatry at Columbia University.
- Elsie M. Pinkston, Ph.D., Professor at the School of Social Service
Administration at the University of Chicago.
- Jany Rademakers, Ph.D., Clinical psychologist at NISSO in Utrecht,
- Meredith Reynolds, Ph.D., Epidemic Intelligence Officer at the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention assigned to the Division of Reproductive
- Lucia F. O'Sullivan, Ph.D., Research Scientist at the HIV Center for
Clinical and Behavioral Studies at the New York State Psychiatric Institute,
and Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology in the Department of
Psychiatry at Columbia University, New York.
- Kenneth J. Zucker, Ph.D., Head of the Child and Adolescent Gender
Identity Clinic and Senior Psychologist, Child Psychiatry Program, Centre
for Addiction and Mental Health-Clarke Division, Toronto, Ontario.