The year 2003 marked the 50th anniversary of
the publication of The Kinsey Institute's landmark book, Sexual
Behavior in the Human Female
. In honor of the pioneering efforts
of Alfred Kinsey and developments since the 1953 female volume,
The Kinsey Institute coordinated a series of events addressing
women's sexualities, their diversity and their relation to gender
presented by IU Gender Studies,
Department of History and The Kinsey Institute.
(For more details see Women's Sexualities Events List)
- Keynote Address, Gloria
Steinem, IU Auditorium
- Oh! Dr. Kinsey!: Media Reaction to Kinsey's
Report on Women, Monroe County Historical Society Museum
- Feminine Persuasion Art exhibition
of invited contemporary women artists and selections from the Kinsey
- Film Festival: "Under
the Radar: Women in Film in the Kinsey Era" sponsored by
Horizons of Knowledge, IU Programs in American Studies, Cultural Studies
& Gender Studies, IU Departments of English, Communication &
Culture, and Fine Arts
- Linda Williams speaks about "Between
"White Slavery" and the "Ethnography of Sex Workers":
Women in Stag Films at the Kinsey Archive."
- Lysistrata, IU Theater productions.
- Safer Sexuality for Women,
Planned Parenthood luncheon, Bloomington.
- Maiden, Mothers and Crones Talk about
Living with Passion, Day-long conference at IPFW
- From Alfred Kinsey to Go Ask Alice!,
Judith Steinhart, Whittenburger Auditorium
due to winter air travel!
- Forum on Academic Freedom presented
by the AAUP
- Vagina Monologues - "Vday"
- An Evening of Poetry, Prose and Fiction
Indiana University's English and Creative Writing departments
present Wang Ping, reading from her writings on women's sexuality.
- Turn On This Voice: Women, Poetry and
Sexuality,Bloomington women poets.
( EVENT CANCELLED --see Poetry
- "Theorizing Yes", a talk by Katherine
Franke, presented by the IU School of Law
- 19th Century Midwifery,
Wylie House Museum, Bloomington
- Art History Association XIIIth Annual
Symposium, School of Fine Arts
- Women in Science Lecture: "Sexual Selection: What We Can and Can't Learn about Sex from Animals",
Marlene Zuk, Ph.D, University of California, Riverside
- "Gender and Psychotherapy: Competing
Narratives of Identity", Helen Gremillion, Indiana University,
- Women, Sexuality & Culture: Representation
from Asia Panel Discussion
- Indiana University 15th Annual Women's
Studies/Gender Studies Celebrating Our Students
- Feminism and Value: The Writings of Simone de Beauvoir - Peg Brand
- Gay Issues in the Workplace - Laura Galloway
- History of Sexuality - Joanne Meyerowitz
- How Gender Shapes Sexual Experience - Elizabeth Armstrong
- Sex, Technology and Power - Jean Robinson
- Kinsey's Women: Genealogies and Legacies of Sexual Behavior in the
Female - Judith Allen
- Practicum in Sex Therapy and Counseling - Cynthia Graham
- Sexual Science Seminar - Cynthia Graham
- Suburbia, Family Values, Perversion, Revolt, Self - Patrick Kinsman
- Collins LLC