Indiana University Debate
Presidential Debates - Live Blog
Join us in person for a live debate watch in SPEA Room 169 on Oct. 3rd from 8:30-10:30. Cookies from Baked will be served to keep sugar levels high.
Instructions for participation are located below the cover it live window.
IU Presidential Debates
Equipment needed to participate: Laptop, smart phone, twitter capable cell phone (text message tweeting), ipad or tablet.
*Make sure your devices are charged, we will have a few extension cords, but power is not necessarily guaranteed. The debate will last for an hour and a half.
**IU debate will have a 4-5 netbooks available for use.
Three major options for participating in the live blogging debate: They are listed in order of event preference and ease.
IU Debate Website:
1) Go to http://www.iub.edu/~iudebate/presidentialdebates.shtml
2) The page will not be live until 8:45 PM Easter on Wednesday Oct. 3rd. You can set up a reminder email if you would like one.
3) Type in your name in the “Your Name” box. Full names are required. No user without a full name will be admitted into the discussion
4) Any comments are then typed into the comment box below. Pressing enter = send.
5) The moderator can delete extraneous posts and block users who are not participating up to the intended quality of the event.
- Log into facebook
- Search for IU Prez Debate Live Blog OR https://www.facebook.com/IuPrezDebateLiveBlog/app_310432762368131
- The page will not be live until 8:45 PM Easter on Wednesday Oct. 3rd. You can set up a reminder email if you would like one.
- If you do not already have an account go to twitter.com and sign up for a twitter handle.
- In account settings go to the “profile” tab, make sure your name is YOUR NAME. It will be the only way you participation can be tracked
- The event will use the following hash tag: #iuprezdb8 . Every tweet that is sent out must use this hashtag otherwise your tweets will not be included.
- The page will not be live until 8:45 PM Easter on Wednesday Oct. 3rd. Any tweets before this time will be ignored
- Any instance of the use of this hash tag will automatically be added to the live blog discussion.
- The moderator can delete extraneous posts and block users who are not participating up to the events intended quality.
- Retweets are acceptable, and encouraged
- You can post attachments, images of polling data etc. to help
- Users should feel free to include any discussion points they think is pertinent to the debate. Example: Is the question used by Lehrer well stated, clear, direct? Are the candidates responded well to the questions? How could they improve? What is your perception of the candidates ‘ ethos?
- Periodically the moderator will post a “Poll” that will ask a specific question about the debate.
- Users are encouraged to include links to online material (graphs, major think tank discussions, academic resources, key newspaper articles) to help backup one’s argument.
- Trolls will be strictly prohibited. Users should maintain quality discussion during the live broadcast and are encouraged to follow their own discretion in ignoring obvious inflammatory discourse.