P150 How Things Work
All you every wanted to know about your cell phone! AND MORE!
A cell phone is one of the most sophisticated devices that humans have ever carried around in their pocket.
This course will discuss all aspects of the cell phone, including:
- A history of telephones leading to modular phones.
- How the cell network is designed.
- How does roaming work?
- What is your ESN, SID, MIN ? And why they are important.
- How does your phone receive and transmit radio waves?
- How long is your cell antenna?
- What is the distribution of cell towers in Bloomington?
- What is inside your cell phone?
Topics and components (and the physics behind the object) that will be studied include:
- Memory chips
- RF transmitters and receivers
- Display screens
- Cell phone cameras
- Cell phone ring tones
- Messaging techniques
- Digital sound
- Synthetic speech