High energy accelerators and storage rings are tools for many discoveries in many branches of sciences. IU Physics department is one of few major graduate universities that offer graduate degrees in accelerator sciences. Our major research thrust is physics of high brightness and high power beams, nonlinear beam dynamics, chaos and instabilities in beams, polarized beam and spin dynamics in synchrotorn, space charge effects on beams, beam measurement and accelerator modeling.
- Accelerator design
- High intensity and high brightness beams
- Nonlinear beam dynamics, chaos, and beam manipulation
- Polarized beam acceleration
- Free electron laser, laser and beam interactions
- Radiation physics and medical applications