Susan B. Klein
Assoc. Director, Medical Physics Program
Biophysics and Radiation Biology
B.S., Sonoma State University, Biophysics, 1980
Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley, Biophysics, 1986
University of Michigan, Biophysics Division
University of Michigan Medical School, Department of Radiation Oncology
University of Michigan Medical School, Department of Dermatology
Office: Swain West 306
Email: sbklein indiana.edu
My current research interests involve the radiation biology and biophysics of particle radiation. Recent experiments have investigated the differences in genomic repair response to x-ray and proton radiation, the impact of space travel on the relative biological effectiveness (RBE) of various radiations, and the biophysics of the distal falloff of the proton radiation depth dose Bragg peak. Most of these experiments are conducted at the Integrated Science and Accelerator Technology Hall (ISAT) on the north side of campus; this building houses the Indiana University Health Proton Therapy Center (IUHPTC). Particle radiation biology is fundamental to understanding the mechanisms involved in successful proton therapy and so this research is critical to the medical advancement of treatments provided at IUHPTC. This translational research provides opportunities at every level from the laboratory bench to the clinical environment.
- Klein, S.B. SEM and x‑ray microanalysis of cellular differentiation in sea urchin embryos: a frozen hydrated study, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Publication, LBL‑21128 (1985).
- Klein, S.B., Fisher, G.J., Jensen, T.C., Mendelsohn, J., Voorhees, J.J., Elder, J.T. Regulation of TGF‑a expression in human keratinocytes: PKC‑dependent and ‑independent pathways, J. Cell. Phys., 151:326‑336 (1992).
- Klein, S.B., Yeivin, A., Becker, G., Taylor, M.W. IDO mutants cross‑resistant to type I interferon retain p91‑dependent gene induction, J. Interferon Res., 14:333‑341 (1994).
- Zhang, J‑F., Hu, C., Geng, Y., Selm, J., Klein, S.B., Orazi, A., Taylor, M.W. Treatment of a human breast cancer xenograft with an adenovirus vector containing an interferon gene results in rapid regression due to viral oncolysis and gene therapy. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 93:4513‑4518 (1996).
- Dunham, W.R., Sands, R.H., Klein, S.B., Duell, E.A., Rhodes, L.M., Marcelo, C.L. EPR measurements showing that plasma membrane viscosity can vary from 30 to 100 cP in human epidermal cell strains. Spectrochimica Acta, Part A, 52:1357‑1368 (1996).
- Jones, A.Z., Bloch, C.D., Hall, E.R., Hashemian, R., Klein, S.B., Murray, K.M. Foster, C.C. Comparison of Indiana University Cyclotron Facility Faraday cup proton dosimetry with radiochromic films, a calorimeter, and a calibrated ion chamber. IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 46:6, 1762-1765 (1999).
- M. A. Miller, S. B. Klein, K. A. Slack, P. I. Rogers, J. L. Solomon, A. P. Mendel, D. Hou, S. C. A. M. Bekkers and K. L. March. Fast Organ-Motion Gated Dose Delivery to the Myocardium, Particles, 28:3-4 (2001).
- Ciulla T. A., Danis R. P., Klein S. B., Malinovsky V. E., Soni P. S., Pratt L. M., Pugh N. O., Morphis J. G., Bloch C., Cameron J. Proton therapy for exudative age-related macular degeneration: a randomized, sham-controlled clinical trial. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 134:905-6 (2002)
- Klein, S. B. Status of the Proton Therapy Project at IUCF and the Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute. Cyclotrons and Their Applications, 680:1081 (2003).
- Britten, R.A., Nazaryan, V., Davis, L.K., Klein, S.B., Nichiporov, D., Mendonca, M.S., Wolanski, M., Nie, X., George, J, Keppel, C. Variations in the RBE for cell killing along the depth dose profile of a modulated proton therapy beam. Radiat Res. 179:21-8 (2013).