Rick Van Kooten
Elementary Particle Physics (Experimental)
B.Ap.Sc., University of Toronto, 1984.
Ph.D., Stanford University, 1990.
Postdoctoral positions: CERN Associate Scientist, DESY Research Scientist.
Office: Swain 255
Phone: (812) 855-2650
Email: rvankoot indiana.edu
My primary research interests concentrate on the study of particles containing b quarks and searches for new particles not described by our current Standard Model, such as those predicted by Supersymmetry and the "missing link" of the Standard Model: the Higgs boson. I have pursued these studies at the highest energy electron-positron colliders in the world, and am now continuing these studies at the energy frontier of hadronic colliders. I am also participating in planning for experimentation at the next generation of linear electron-positron colliders.
I am currently working on the D0 Collaboration, a large international group of physicists collecting data from proton-antiproton collisions at center-of-mass energies of 2 TeV, for a while longer, highest collision energy in the world, with the D0 Upgrade Detector at the Fermi National Laboratory outside of Chicago. Specifically, my group is involved in the scintillating fiber tracker and studies of b hadron physics such as B_s oscillations, B_s CP-violating phase, and new b baryons.
I have now begun work on the ATLAS Collaboration collecting data from proton-proton collisions at center-of-mass energies of up to 14 TeV. The ATLAS detector is located on the Large Hadron Collider at the European Laboratory for Particle Physics (CERN) in Geneva, Switzerland. My group is involved in the barrel transition radiation tracker, the high-level trigger, high-luminosity LHC upgrades (Level 1 trigger), and vector boson scattering, particularly concerning the high-energy behavior of the Higgs in the restoration of unitarity.
More details of my research interests can be found on the web (http://hep.physics.indiana.edu/~rickv/research.html).
- Review of Physics Results from the Tevatron: Heavy Flavor Physics. J. Lewis and R. Van Kooten (2014), Int. J. Mod. Phys. A 30, 1541003 (2015), arXiv:1412.5211 [hep-ex].
- Averages of b-hadron, c-hadron, and tau-lepton properties as of summer 2014. Heavy Flavor Averaging Group (HFAG) Collaboration (Y. Amhis, et al.) (2014), arXiv:1412.7515 [hep-ex].
- Building for Discovery: Strategic Plan for U.S. Particle Physics in the Global Context, Particle Physics Projects Prioritization Panel (P5) (S. Ritz et al.) (2014), link.
- Higgs Working Group Report of the Snowmass 2013 Community Planning Study. S. Dawson, A. Gritsan, H. Logan, J. Qian, C. Tully, and R. Van Kooten, et al., arXiv:1310.8361 [hep-ex].
- Higgs Boson Studies at the Tevatron, DØ & CDF Collaborations, Phys. Rev. D 88, 052014 (2013), arXiv:1303.6346 [hep-ex].
- Evidence for a particle produced in association with weak bosons and decaying to a bottom-antibottom quark pair in Higgs boson searches at the Tevatron, DØ & CDF Collaborations, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109, 071804 (2012), arXiv:1207.6436 [hep-ex].
- Measurement of the Anomalous Like-Sign Dimuon Charge Asymmetry with 9 fb−1 of pp Collisions, Phys. Rev. D 84, 052007 (2011), arXiv:1106.6308 [hep-ex].
- CPT violation and B-meson oscillations, Alan Kostelecky, R. Van Kooten, Phys. Rev. D 82, 101702 (2010), arXiv:1007.5312 [hep-ph].
- Evidence for an anomalous like-sign dimuon charge asymmetry, V. M. Abazov et al. [DØ Collaboration], Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 081801 (2010), arXiv:1007.0395 [hep-ex].
- Averages of b-hadron, c-hadron, and tau-lepton Properties, Heavy Flavor Averaging Group Collaboration (D. Asner et al.), e-Print: arXiv:1010.1589 [hep-ex].
- Measurement of the lifetime of the Bc meson in the semileptonic decay channel, V.M. Abazov et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 092001 (2009), arXiv:0805.2614.
- First Measurement of the Bs Semileptonic Branching Ratio to an Orbitally Excited Ds∗∗ State, V. Abazov et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 01801 (2009), arXiv:0712.3789 [hep-ex].
- Measurement of the Bs0 Mixing Parameters from the Flavor-Tagged Decay Bs0→J/ψφ, Phys. Rev. Lett. 101, 241801 (2008), arXiv:0802.2255 [hep-ex].
- First Direct observation of the strange b baryon Ξb, V. Abazov et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 052001 (2007), arXiv:0706.1690 [hep-ex].
- First Direct Limits on the Bs Oscillation Frequency, the DØ Collaboration, V. Abazov et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 97, 021802 (2006), hep-ex/0603029 [hep-ex].
- Measurement of the Λb lifetime in the decay Λb →J/ψΛ with the DØ Detector, the DØ Collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 102001 (2005).
- Observation and Properties of the X(3872) Decaying to J/ψ π+π- in pbarp Collisions at sqrt(s)=1.96 TeV, the DØ Collaboration, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 162002 (2004).
- Higgs Physics at the Linear Collider, J. Gunion, H. Haber, R. Van Kooten, in Linear Collider Physics in the New Millenium (World Scientific), hep-ph/0301023.
- The Case for a 500 GeV e+e– Linear Collider, American Linear Collider Working Group, J. Bagger et al., July 2000, hep-ex/0007022.
- Search for Chargino and Neutralino Production at √s = 181–184 GeV at LEP. the OPAL Collab., G. Abbiendi et al., Eur. Phys. J. C8 (1999) 255.