BS, North Central College 1997
PhD, University of Tennessee 2003
Postdoc, Indiana University 2004-2008
Email: remitche indiana.edu
My research revolves around the study of the strong force, the force that binds quarks together into larger composites, such as protons and neutrons, or pions and kaons, or other more exotic configurations. To do this, I concentrate on mesons, which are simple bound states of a quark and an anti-quark. The spectrum of mesons is analogous to the energy levels of the hydrogen atom: studying the properties of different quark-antiquark "energy levels" gives important information on how they are bound, similar to the way that the spectroscopy of hydrogen was important for the development of our contemporary picture of electromagnetism.
I am involved with several experimental collaborations. At the CLEO experiment at Cornell University, we study bound states of charm and anti-charm quarks. These states are created by the annihilation of electrons and positrons provided by the Cornell Electron Storage Ring (CESR). They quickly decay and the decay products are then measured with the CLEO detector. I am also working on the design of the GlueX experiment at Jefferson National Laboratory in Newport News, VA. GlueX will use a beam of high energy (9 GeV) photons to produce exotic composites of quarks, antiquarks, and gluons (the particles responsible for the strong force).
- R.E.Mitchell, et al. [CLEO Collaboration], "J/psi and psi(2S) radiative transitions to eta_c," Physical Review Letters 102, 011801 (2009) [arXiv:0805.0252 [hep-ex]].
- J.V.Bennett, et al. [CLEO Collaboration], "Observation of chi_cJ radiative decays to light vector mesons," Physical Review Letters 101, 151801 (2008) [arXiv:0807.3718 [hep-ex]].
- R.E.Mitchell, "An Experimental Review of Charmonium," Proceedings of the 34th International Conference of High Energy Physics, Philadelphia, PA (2008) [arXiv:0810.3231 [hep-ex]].
- R.E.Mitchell, "Bottomonium and Charmonium at CLEO," Proceedings of the 42nd Recontres de Moriond, La Thuile, Italy (2007) [arXiv:0705.2899 [hep-ex]].
- A.R.Dzierba, et al., "A partial wave analysis of the pi-pi-pi+ and pi-pi0pi0 systems and the search for a JPC = 1-+ meson," Physical Review D73, 072001 (2006) [arXiv:hep-ex/0510068].
- R.E.Mitchell, "PWA of 3pi final states and a search for the pi1(1600)," Proceedings of Hadron 2005, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, AIP Conf. Proc. 814, 473 (2006) [arXiv:hep-ex/0510075].
- R.E.Mitchell, "Observation of a 1750 MeV State in the Diffractive Photoproduction of K+K-," Proceedings of Photon 2003, Gargnano, Italy, Nuclear Physics B126 (2004).
- R.E.Mitchell, "Observation of a 1750 MeV state in the peripheral photoproduction of K+K-," Proceedings of the 8th Conference on the Intersections of Particle and Nuclear Physics (CIPANP 2003), New York, NY, AIP Conf. Proc. 698, 559 (2004).
- J.M.Link, et al. [FOCUS Collaboration], "Observation of a 1750 MeV enhancement in the diffractive photoproduction of K+K-," Physics Letters B545, 50 (2002) [arXiv:hep-ex/0208027].