Charles J. Horowitz
Nuclear Physics and Astrophysics (Theoretical)
B.A., Harvey Mudd College, 1978.
Ph.D., Stanford, 1981.
Postdoctoral Position: Niels Bohr Institute
Phone: Swain West 233 (812)855-0303 | CEEM (812)855-2959
Email: horowit indiana.edu
I am a theoretical nuclear astorphysicist doing research on neutron rich dense matter, neutron star crusts, neutrino interactions in supernova explosions, and laboratory measurements of nuclear properties important for astrophysics. My research projects include:
- Multi-messenger observations of neutron rich matter by C. J. Horowitz, arXiv:1106.1661.
- A New Equation of State for Astrophysical Simulations by G. Shen, C. J. Horowitz, and S. Teige, Phys. Rev. C 83, 035802 (2011).
- The breaking strain of neutron star crust and gravitational waves by C. J. Horowitz, and Kai Kadau, Phys. Rev. Letters 102, 191102 (2009).
- Phase separation in the crust of accreting neutron stars by C. J. Horowitz, D. K. Berry, and E. F. Brown, Phys. Rev. E 75, 066101 (2007).
- Cluster Formation and The Virial Equation of State of Low-Density Nuclear Matter by C.J. Horowitz and A. Schwenk, Nucl. Phys. A 776, 55-79 (2006).
- Neutrino-pasta scattering: the opacity of nonuniform neutron-rich matter by C. J. Horowitz, M. A. Perez-Garcia and J. Piekarewicz, Phys. Rev. C 69, 045804 (2004).
- Weak magnetism for antineutrinos in supernovae by C. J. Horowitz, Phys. Rev. D 65, 043001 (2002).
- Neutron Star Structure and the Neutron Radius of 208Pb by C. J. Horowitz and J. Piekarewicz, Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 5647 (2001).
- Parity Violating Measurements of Neutron Densities by C. J. Horowitz, S. J. Pollock, P. A. Souder, and R. Michaels, Phys. Rev. C 63, 025501 (2001). Updated Aug. 6, 2011.