Questions to Consider [show/hide]
Title: The Steerage
Artist: Alfred Stieglitz
- What was the first object you noticed in this image? How did the artist draw your attention to this feature?
- Look closely and describe the clothing, postures, gestures, actions, and ages of the different people in this image.
- Select an individual in the photograph and interpret their thoughts or feelings through their posture, gesture, and/or action.
- What basic shapes define this composition? Which shapes are repeated throughout the composition?
- What is the general emotion of this image?
- How has the artist contrasted the groups of people on the upper and lower floors?
Roll your mouse over this image, and you’ll find 8 interesting bits of information. These will help you answer the Questions to Consider.