Questions to Consider [show/hide]
Title: American Harvesting
Artist: Jasper F. Cropsey
- Name the features of the painting that are “natural” and those that show human presence.
- How has the artist organized spatial recession in this landscape?
- Where is your eye drawn first? How does Cropsey direct your eye?
- What might the people near the fence be contemplating?
- What feeling does this landscape inspire? What features make you feel this way?
- What time of day is captured in this painting?
- What features of the painting lend a “spiritual” quality?
- How might this painting relate to the nineteenth-century idea of westward expansion?
- What does this painting tell you about Cropsey’s thoughts about the relationship between man and nature?
Roll your mouse over this image, and you’ll find 5 interesting bits of information. These will help you answer the Questions to Consider.