Questions to Consider [show/hide]
Title: Lightening Lipstick
Artist: Robert Colescott
- How would you describe the woman to the far left?
- How does the figure to the far left compare and contrast to the woman standing next to her?
- Why do you think this particular part of the world map is shown so prominently in the center of the painting?
- How has the artist presented this serious subject?
- What do you think Colescott is trying to express by including the spectrum of colors and numbered faces in the top-left?
- How does Colescott emphasize that the person on the far right side of the painting is grappling with mixed racial identities?
Roll your mouse over this image, and you’ll find 5 interesting bits of information. These will help you answer the Questions to Consider.