This page is now located at an updated
Please update your bookmarks! The new address is posted below.
You will be redirected to the new page in just a few seconds.
Marquis de Pierre Simon Laplace
French Mathematician, Astronomer and Physicist.
- Professor of Mathematics at the Ecole Militaire in Paris
- Minister of the Interior (replaced after six weeks)
- Senator, became Chancellor of the Senate in 1803
- Traite de me'canique ce'leste (Celestial Mechanics), (1799 - 1825
- Exposition du systeme du monde (1796)
- Theorie analytique des probabilites ( 1812)
"As early as 1773, Laplace had demonstrated the invariability of
planetary mean motions."
Newton had earlier pointed to irregularities or perturbations in planetary
movements which would lead to the end of the world: Laplace's work, on
the other hand, established the stability of the solar system."
Major work done in gravitational theory, also wrote a book on probability
World famous and greatly honoured by many scientific institutions.
References: 3, 10
Home | Interactive
Map | Alphabetic Index | Time
Hot Topics | Map - PDF | References | Contributors | Comments
For further information please contact
Content questions: Dr. Jonathan
Plucker (jonathan.plucker AT uconn.edu)
16 May 2013