Dr. Haidar Khezri is an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the Department of Central Eurasian Studies (CEUS) and Senior Fellow at the Center for the Study of the Middle East (CSME) at Indiana University Bloomington. He joined IU in 2014 to develop Kurdish language curriculum for North American universities through a U.S Department of Education Title VI grant award from the Center for the Study of the Middle East (CSME). The IAUNRC sat down with him to speak about his research and Kurdish studies.
Dr. Seema Golestaneh joined the faculty in the Department of Central Eurasian Studies (CEUS) in the 2015 fall semester. Her research examines the anthropology of religion with a focus on Iran. She is broadly interested in alternative Islamic discourses; particularly how Sufism, with its abstract concepts and esoteric ideas, can be applied by practitioners in the everyday world. The IAUNRC sat down with Dr. Golestaneh to discuss her research and first semester experiences at Indiana University.
The Inner Asian and Uralic National Resource Center (IAUNRC) at Indiana University is recruiting Graduate Assistants (GAs) for the 2016-2017 academic year. In addition to a fee remission (12 credits per semester and 6 credits for summer), GAs receive a stipend of at least $15,000 paid in ten installments during the academic year. GAs are expected to work 20 hours per week.
To be eligible for the GA position applicants must be enrolled full-time in the College of Arts and Sciences.
Shahzad Bashir gave the 2015 Bregel Lecture on Wednesday, November 11, at the Indiana Memorial Union.
Indiana University's School of Global and International Studies hosted an address by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry to celebrate the opening of the school's new home on the Bloomington campus. Kerry delivered a speech that highlighted why American leadership abroad remains more important than ever and outlined priorities for U.S. foreign policy in a changing world.
Cholmon spent the 2014-2015 Academic Year as a Visiting Scholar in the Department of Central Eurasian Studies. (CEUS) The IAUNRC was able to sit down with her for an interview about her time here at Indiana University before she returned to Inner Mongolia last month.
How long have you been a Visiting Scholar at Indiana University? Can you tell us a little about the program that brought you here?
Dr. László Borhi is the Peter A. Kadas Chair Associate Professor of Central European Studies at the Department of Central Eurasian Studies. Professor Borhi also serves as Scientific Counsellor of the Institute of History, Center for Humanities of the Hungarian Academy. He is the author of Hungary in the Cold War, 1945–1956: Between the United States and the Soviet Union (2004), as well as the co-author and co-editor of Soviet Occupation of Romania, Hungary and Austria, 1944–1948 (forthcoming).
For many years now at Indiana University, the Department of Central Eurasian Studies (CEUS) has welcomed Fulbright Language Teaching Assistants (FLTAs) from around the region into CEUS classrooms. The FLTA Program is one part of the larger Fulbright Program, sponsored by the State Department’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), which brings over 1,800 Foreign Fulbright Fellows to academic programs around the United States each year by providing merit based grants. This year CEUS welcomes five FLTAs from Finland, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, and Uzbekistan.
This year at Lotus Festival, Bloomington’s annual international music festival, the IAUNRC is proud to be sponsoring three, folk-inspired acts from Finland and Estonia. Each artist will be playing at least twice within the festival and has been praised for their innovations on more traditional styles. Be sure to check them out at the following venues:
Baltic Crossing (http://www.lotusfest.org/artist/baltic-crossing/): A folk-dance band combining Scottish, Danish, and Finnish influences.
The Inner Asian and Uralic National Resource Center is beginning the 2015-2016 academic year in the new Global and International Studies Building (GISB). GISB, located between Wells Library and the Radio-TV Building on the east side of campus, is home to the School of Global and International Studies (SGIS). Eight departments and 20 programs reside in the new 165,000 square foot facility; though the school consists of four departments, eighteen centers, three language flagships, and the Summer Language Workshop.