THIS IS WHAT WE STUDY: A SAMPLING OF PROJECTS AND OUTREACH IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
IU geologists identify new seismic zone near Illinois-Missouri border
From the IU Newsroom: Geologists at Indiana University have characterized widespread seismic activity in an area they call the Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone, suggesting a greater possibility of earthquake effects than was previously recognized in southwestern Illinois and eastern Missouri. more
Curiosity Rover On Mars
- IU Bloomington geologist reports results of Mars mineralogy investigation. more
- IU geologists David Bish and Juergen Schieber analyze data from Curiosity’s instruments. more
- IU on Mars – David Bish and Juergen Schieber article on Inside IU Bloomington
- NASA: Latest News from Mars
- Finding life beyond Earth: JPL | NASA | NOVA
- Faculty links: David Bish | Juergen Schieber | CheMin PPT
- Remember last year’s building reorganization for the IU recruiting commercial? The commercial has been released. more
- SCREWBALL COMPETITION! It’s time again for our annual Screwball competition! Screwball is a department wide competition, sponsored by Geoclub, in which everyone gets to nominate a professor whom they believe is doing wonderfully in the department, and is worthy of being called Screwball. The competition is run like a penny war. After all nominations are in, there will be jars for each nominee placed in the front office on the first floor of the geology building. To cast a vote in favor of your favorite professor, you place pennies into his or her jar. To hinder an opposing professor, you place any larger denomination of money into his or her jar.
As a reminder, The candidates for this year’s competition are Peter Sauer, Laura Wasylenki. Doug Edmonds, Michael Hamburger, Gary Pavlis, Julie Fosdick, Bill Monaghan, and P. David Polly. In order to cast your votes for the professor of your choice, you must put pennies into their jar. All other denominations of money count negatively, so they can be put into other jars to help your choice get to the lead. All money collected during the competition goes to supporting Geoclub outings and events. Screwball will be awarded at the Holiday Party on December 11. Everyone can vote, so please go in there and cast your votes!
- Holiday Party The annual Holiday Party will be held in the banquet hall at Upland Brewery on Thursday, December 11 beginning at 6:00 p.m., with dinner at 7:00. Contact Carley Gasaway (email) for tickets and information.
Research Focus Sites
- OIINK Seismic Research Experiment
- Shale Research Lab
- Organic Matter from the Santa Barbara Basin
- Southern Caribbean Plate Boundary Studies
- Exploring Deep-Subsurface Life Podcasts
- South Aegean Volcanic Arc Database
Professional Societies, Student Chapters
- GRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Applications: the deadline for international applications is December 1, 2014. The deadline for domestic applications is January 15, 2015.
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Student 2014-2015 Handbook and Forms
- Travel Request Forms
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Society of Economic Geologists–IU Student Chapter
- IU Geophysical Society
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies,
- Carlin C. Schrag Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
- Undergraduate classes in geological sciences. Most of these courses fulfill the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirements.
- Spring 2015 Geosciences Schedule of Classes
- November 24: No Colloquium - Thanksgiving week.
- Colloquium Schedule
Events and Calendar
- 2014-15 Department Directory
- Travel Forms
- IU Judson Mead Geologic Field Station
- BSES Program
- Geological Sciences Library
- Indiana Geological Survey
- Hoosier Geologic Record