THIS IS WHAT WE STUDY: A SAMPLING OF PROJECTS AND OUTREACH IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Faculty and students in Geological Sciences to participate in IU Science Fest on October 25
Get ready for a day of hands-on educational fun! Earthquake Simulator, Physics for Fun demonstration, Chemistry Magic Show, and tours of Kirkwood Observatory and Jordan Hall Greenhouse are just a few of the things you’ll be able to see and do. Activities will be held in Swain West, Jordan Hall, Chemistry, and Kirkwood Observatory. Department Science Fest Website
Curiosity Rover On Mars
- IU Bloomington geologist reports results of Mars mineralogy investigation. more
- IU geologists David Bish and Juergen Schieber analyze data from Curiosity’s instruments. more
- IU on Mars – David Bish and Juergen Schieber article on Inside IU Bloomington
- NASA: Latest News from Mars
- Finding life beyond Earth: JPL | NASA | NOVA
- Faculty links: David Bish | Juergen Schieber | CheMin PPT
News and Outreach
- Oktoberchess is ON! Oktoberchess, the annual charity chess tournament in Geological Sciences, is in progress. The proceeds of the event will benefit the Middle Way House in Bloomington which offers support for victims of domestic abuse. There is more information here.
- SGE participating in the Salvation Army annual coat drive Sigma Gamma Epsilon is coordinating the annual coat drive for the Salvation Army. There is more information here.
Research Focus Sites
- Shale Research Lab
- Organic Matter from the Santa Barbara Basin
- Southern Caribbean Plate Boundary Studies
- Exploring Deep-Subsurface Life Podcasts
- South Aegean Volcanic Arc Database
Professional Societies, Student Chapters
- GRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Applications: the deadline for domestic applications is December 1, 2014. The deadline for international applications is January 1, 2015.
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Student 2014-2015 Handbook and Forms
- Travel Request Forms
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Society of Economic Geologists–IU Student Chapter
- IU Geophysical Society
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies,
- Carlin C. Schrag Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
- Undergraduate classes in geological sciences. Most of these courses fulfill the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirements.
- Spring 2015 Geosciences Schedule of Classes
- October 27: Bill Gilhooly, IUPUI Title: Tracking photosynthetic sulfide oxidation in a meromictic lake using sulfate δ34S and δ18O
4:00 p.m. GY143. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby. more
- Colloquium Schedule