THIS IS WHAT WE STUDY: A SAMPLING OF PROJECTS AND OUTREACH IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Are you considering Geological Sciences for your career?
Because AGI, the American Geosciences Institute just published an article on a report from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics that shows median salaries for Geoscience-related occupations in 2013. more
Except for soil and plant scientists and technician occupations, the median salaries for the geoscience occupations are higher than the median salaries for the broader occupation groups. The average median annual salary for geoscience-related occupations in 2013 was $83,311. The geosciences continue to be a lucrative employment option within the current workforce.
Curiosity Rover On Mars
- IU Bloomington geologist reports results of Mars mineralogy investigation. more
- IU geologists David Bish and Juergen Schieber analyze data from Curiosity’s instruments. more
- IU on Mars – David Bish and Juergen Schieber article on Inside IU Bloomington
- NASA: Latest News from Mars
- Finding life beyond Earth: JPL | NASA | NOVA
- Faculty links: David Bish | Juergen Schieber | CheMin PPT
- Unique Opportunity for Two Geoscience Students Koç University in Istanbul, Turkey, is sponsoring a Sustainability Seminar from August 25th through September 2nd. more
- The 2014 edition of the Hoosier Geologic Record is now online! This interactive publication is a flip book that can be viewed on desktops, tablets, and smartphones. Scattered throughout the booklet are blue highlighted areas that link to research and course websites within the Department. For more information please see the NEWS section.
- The Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship. The Department of Geological Sciences at Indiana University celebrates Mary Iverson’s extraordinary impact on the department with the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, If you would like to contribute to the Mary Iverson Graduate Fellowship, please follow this link.
Research Focus Sites
- Shale Research Lab
- Organic Matter from the Santa Barbara Basin
- Southern Caribbean Plate Boundary Studies
- Exploring Deep-Subsurface Life Podcasts
- South Aegean Volcanic Arc Database
Professional Societies, Student Chapters
- GRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Student 2014-2015 Handbook and Forms
- Travel Request Forms
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Society of Economic Geologists–IU Student Chapter
- IU Geophysical Society
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies,
- Carlin C. Schrag Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
- Undergraduate classes in geological sciences. Most of these courses fulfill the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirements.
- Fall 2014 Geosciences Schedule of Classes
- Colloquia program will resume on September 8th.