THIS IS WHAT WE STUDY: A SAMPLING OF PROJECTS AND OUTREACH IN THE DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Big turnout for Science Fest 2014
A giant THANK-YOU to everyone who contributed, in one way or another, to make this year’s IU Science Fest a great success! There were eight great science outreach programs, hundreds of visitors, and great visibility for Geological Sciences at IU. We had a very strong turnout by our student volunteers, and a wonderful pitch-in to get everything transported, set up, broken down, and cleaned up by the end of the day. Special kudos to Xiaotao Yang, Anna Nowicki, Ian Wang and other members of the IU Geophysical Society, who did the lion’s share of the organizing. And thanks to Walt Gray and the Indiana Geological Survey for a special collaboration to create a great new contribution to the Science Fest--the "Earthquake Zone"! More pictures here.
Curiosity Rover On Mars
- IU Bloomington geologist reports results of Mars mineralogy investigation. more
- IU geologists David Bish and Juergen Schieber analyze data from Curiosity’s instruments. more
- IU on Mars – David Bish and Juergen Schieber article on Inside IU Bloomington
- NASA: Latest News from Mars
- Finding life beyond Earth: JPL | NASA | NOVA
- Faculty links: David Bish | Juergen Schieber | CheMin PPT
News and Outreach
- Emeritus Professor Erle Kauffman received the Paleotological Society’s highest award at the Geological Society of America Meeting in Vancouver, B.C. More about this here.
- Oktoberchess is ON! Oktoberchess, the annual charity chess tournament in Geological Sciences, is in progress. The proceeds of the event will benefit the Middle Way House in Bloomington which offers support for victims of domestic abuse. More information here.
- SGE participating in the Salvation Army annual coat drive Sigma Gamma Epsilon is coordinating the annual coat drive for the Salvation Army. There is more information here.
Research Focus Sites
- Shale Research Lab
- Organic Matter from the Santa Barbara Basin
- Southern Caribbean Plate Boundary Studies
- Exploring Deep-Subsurface Life Podcasts
- South Aegean Volcanic Arc Database
Professional Societies, Student Chapters
- GRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Applications: the deadline for domestic applications is December 1, 2014. The deadline for international applications is January 1, 2015.
- Gary Pavlis, Director of Graduate Studies.
- Kaj Johnson, Director of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate Student 2014-2015 Handbook and Forms
- Travel Request Forms
- Sigma Gamma Epsilon
- Society of Economic Geologists–IU Student Chapter
- IU Geophysical Society
- UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS |
- Jim Brophy, Director of Undergraduate Studies,
- Carlin C. Schrag Undergraduate Academic Advisor.
- Undergraduate classes in geological sciences. Most of these courses fulfill the Natural and Mathematical Sciences requirements.
- Spring 2015 Geosciences Schedule of Classes
- November 3: Jennifer Glass, Georgia Tech. Title: Metals, Methane and Microbes: Exploring Novel Metabolisms by Integrating Geochemical and Biological Approaches
4:00 p.m. GY143. Refreshments served at 3:30 in the Geology lobby. more
- Colloquium Schedule