Support the Center
Masters Student in East Asian Studies and EASC Volunteer
Tiphani Dixon is currently seeking a Master's degree with a concentration in East Asian Studies. She is the cultural ambassador for Japan within the East Asian Studies Department. In this capacity, Tiphani has participated in the Lotus Blossom World Bazaar for the past two years, helping elementary school students experience East Asian culture through crafts. Additionally, she developed a presentation regarding musical instruments native to Japan, which was broadcast via satellite to an elementary school in Alabama. Tiphani also assisted with the student-run Korea Night, and developed a presentation for Japan Olympiad that explained the elements of karate to high-school students in the lower Midwest region. She is also in contact with the Office of Overseas Study at IU, and assisted in study abroad orientation by providing an overview of adjusting to life in Japan.
Tiphani believes intercultural communication, exposure, and intentional interactions are the keys to establishing globally conscious individuals. It is because of this philosophy that she loves volunteering, working with people, and promoting interest in East Asia.
The center has an active volunteer program, with opportunities for East Asian nationals and others with an interest in East Asia to help with outreach programs to K-12 students.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Visits to local elementary schools to help with our Exploring East Asia through Stories program by:
- telling part of the story in the language of your country,
- helping with a craft or other hands-on activity, or
- answering questions about your country.
- Visits to area retirement centers to provide programs on daily life and culture, current events, and food.
- Interacting with students and teachers in other cities via Video Distance Learning (VDL) on topics such as language, New Year’s celebrations, and music.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Korean Night 2015 - email email@example.com to become part of the volunteer team!