Support the Center
Qindan (Dani) Nie
Undergraduate Student in Business and Volunteer
Qindan Nie is a Junior student, from China, majoring in Supply Chain Management and Marketing. She is an active volunteer for EASC; doing such things as leading hands-on activities in Chinese crafts at a center for individuals with developmental disabilities; giving a calligraphy performance at a local middle school for their Chinese New Year celebration; teaching children and community members Chinese at the world language table at the Lotus Blossom World Bazaar, an annual educational art event; and teaching local scouts about Chinese culture at IU’s Mathers Museum. She says, “I’m interested in the community events in Bloomington and want to explore and get more involved with the local life. That’s why I love being a volunteer.”
The center has an active volunteer program, with opportunities for East Asian nationals and others with an interest in East Asia to help with outreach programs to K-12 students.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Visits to local elementary schools to help with our Exploring East Asia through Stories program by:
- telling part of the story in the language of your country,
- helping with a craft or other hands-on activity, or
- answering questions about your country.
- Visits to area retirement centers to provide programs on daily life and culture, current events, and food.
- Interacting with students and teachers in other cities via Video Distance Learning (VDL) on topics such as language, New Year’s celebrations, and music.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
International Studies in Schools (ISIS) Chinese Holidays
Date: Friday, Apr. 11th
Time: 9:30 – 10:30 AND 11:00 – 12:00
Location: ISIS video conferences are held on campus at the Center for the Study of Global Change
Description: Share you knowledge and experiences of Chinese holidays with 2nd graders at Agnor Hurt Elementary School in Charlottesville, VA.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the above events, please contact the East Asian Studies Center at email@example.com.