Support the Center
Siqian (Mavis) Meng
Visiting Scholar in School of Education and Volunteer
As a visiting scholar with the IU School of Education, Mavis Meng is an active volunteer with the East Asian Studies Center. She is a regular instructor with the Cultural Immersion Project, teaching Chinese language and culture to 5th and 6th graders at University Elementary School. “It is a very satisfying feeling to have kids tell me numbers and colors in Chinese,” she said. “I also enjoy learning about the different culture and customs of America.”
Mavis also volunteered through the EASC at the Sterling House, a residence for adults with limited mobility, and at the 2014 Lotus Blossom World Bazaar, an annual event for 4th graders in the Bloomington school district. “No matter where I am, volunteering will play a very important role in my life,” Mavis told us recently. “The staff in EASC is so nice and patient. They are very kind and offer me information about the events,” she also noted. We are grateful for her commitment and her great work with us at the EASC!
The center has an active volunteer program, with opportunities for East Asian nationals and others with an interest in East Asia to help with outreach programs to K-12 students.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Visits to local elementary schools to help with our Exploring East Asia through Stories program by:
- telling part of the story in the language of your country,
- helping with a craft or other hands-on activity, or
- answering questions about your country.
- Visits to area retirement centers to provide programs on daily life and culture, current events, and food.
- Interacting with students and teachers in other cities via Video Distance Learning (VDL) on topics such as language, New Year’s celebrations, and music.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
We do not currently have any volunteer opportunities but please check back here for volunteer opportunities as they arise.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the above events, please contact the East Asian Studies Center at email@example.com.