Support the Center
Master's Student in Education and Volunteer
Yingyang Wu, a first-year Master's student in Instructional Systems Technology, was born and raised in southeast China. Her experience volunteering during undergrad in China helped to foster her interest in cross-cultural communication. Upon coming to America, Yingyang drew upon this every growing interest to volunteer for EASC. She has since been an active volunteer for EASC, leading hands-on activities in Chinese crafts at a center for individuals with developmental disabilities; giving a presentation at a local retirement center about the Chinese New Year; and introducing local scouts and the community to Chinese culture at Mathers Museum. “I hope that by serving at the East Asian Studies Center, I could spread the fascinating inter-cultural experience and contribute to the mutual understanding between American and Asian culture at IUB,” she says.
The center has an active volunteer program, with opportunities for East Asian nationals and others with an interest in East Asia to help with outreach programs to K-12 students.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Visits to local elementary schools to help with our Exploring East Asia through Stories program by:
- telling part of the story in the language of your country,
- helping with a craft or other hands-on activity, or
- answering questions about your country.
- Visits to area retirement centers to provide programs on daily life and culture, current events, and food.
- Interacting with students and teachers in other cities via Video Distance Learning (VDL) on topics such as language, New Year’s celebrations, and music.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
The International Evening at the Project School
Date: Thursday, Nov. 20th
Location: 349 S. Walnut Street (next to the Chocolate Moose)
Description: Join EASC Outreach Assistants in leading hands-on activities with up to 100 elementary-age youth. The EASC will provide materials and instructions for the chosen activities. Past examples include making paper lanterns, Korean fans, and more.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of the above events, please contact the East Asian Studies Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.