Spanish and English (as a new language) Teacher
Jackson Creek Middle School, Indiana
In Andrew Houlik-Ritchey’s World Languages class, his students learn to speak Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean; play the East Asian board game “Go”; and write calligraphy—and he learns with them. Houlik-Ritchey is a participant in the EASC’s volunteer program, which pairs local teachers with East Asian nationals and other volunteers with experience in East Asian studies. “The presenters bring a real world understanding to my class that I could never create on my own,” he says. “My students look forward to each presenter and afterwards comment about how ‘cool’ the people were. I often hear them saying things in new languages in the hallways.”
We have a vigorous K–12 teacher outreach program, including our two flagship programs:
- National Consortium for Teaching about Asia (NCTA) Teaching about Asia seminars for middle and high school teachers, and
- NCTA Teaching East Asian Literature in the High School workshops.
Together, these two programs have reached nearly 1,200 educators since their inception in 1999.
As the winner of the prestigious 2005 Goldman Sachs Foundation Prize for Excellence in International Education, we are committed to meeting the professional development needs of teachers and to promoting the study of East Asia among K–12 students.
We also reach business, government, and media through briefings and conferences and the general public through regular sponsorship of cultural events, lifelong learning courses, as well as the colloquium and film series.
- Upcoming Events
- EASC Colloquium: Wives, Husbands, and Lovers: Marriage and Sexuality in Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Urban China (Sara Friedman, Anthropology & Gender Studies, IU Bloomington)
Friday, Oct 03, 2014
12:00 PM - 1:15 PM
Ballantine Hall 109
- EASC Special Event: Second Annual Korean Night
Saturday, Oct 04, 2014
2:00 PM - 8:30 PM
IU School of Education, Atrium & Auditorium, 201 N Rose Ave
- East Asian Film Series: Le Grande Chef (Yun-su Chong, 2007)
Saturday, Oct 04, 2014
6:30 PM - 8:15 PM
- Eighth Annual CHINA Town Hall: Local Connections, National Reflections
Thursday, Oct 16, 2014
5:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Indiana Memorial Union, State Room East
- See Outreach calendar >>
- Outreach events archive >>