For Undergraduate Students
We support IU undergraduate students studying Chinese, Japanese, and Korean through summer FLAS Fellowships.
Title VI Summer Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
Application deadline: February 2, 2014
These fellowships include:
- Tuition fee remission (up to $5,000)
- Summer stipend of $2,500
Summer FLAS fellowships support training of undergraduate students who plan to pursue careers in college or university teaching, government service, or other fields in which knowledge of foreign languages and cultures is required.
Summer 2014 FLAS Fellowships for the study of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean are potentially available through our center as well as the IU Center for the Study of Global Change. FLAS awards from the Center for the Study of Global Change will be awarded only to students whose academic program or career objectives are inter-regional or international in perspective. Applicants whose field of study or career goals have this global component should apply for fellowships through both centers.
Applicants must demonstrate academic excellence and a commitment to using the language as part of long-term academic or professional career goals.
Acceptance of a FLAS award will be counted against your eligibility for other types of financial aid already processed by the IU Office of Student Financial Assistance and may result in a reduction of other aid previously disbursed for the same award period.
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents
- Eligible modern East Asian languages: Chinese, Japanese, and Korean (2nd-year level or higher)
- Program of study must be at least six weeks long and provide at least 120 contact hours at the 4th-year level and at least 140 contact hours at lower levels.
- Please note: Additional requirements apply to the use of a FLAS at an overseas institution. If applying to use a FLAS overseas, easc [at] indiana [dot] edu (contact us).
email@example.com (E-mail us) for more information about FLAS fellowships through the East Asian Studies Center, or contact us at: Memorial Hall West 207, 1021 E. Third St., Bloomington, IN 47405, (812) 855-3765.
Applicants are encouraged to contact EASC and speak to the EASC FLAS advisor before submitting the application. See detailed information and apply online.