OVPDEMA's Study Abroad Scholarship
The application submission deadline for Summer and Fall 2015 programs has passed. Submissions are no longer being accepted.
Scholarship applications are reviewed by a scholarship committee within the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs (OVPDEMA) after the posted deadline. This scholarship is not intended to pay for an entire study abroad program, but rather to assist students in covering some of the costs associated with international study. OVPDEMA highly encourages students to seek additional funding sources for the study abroad programs. Remember that each scholarship has a specific deadline. Make sure to apply early. Below is a list of excellent financial aid resources:
- IU Office of Overseas Study financial aid
- Overseas Study Program Scholarships
- Hutton Honors College International Experience Program Scholarships
- IU department specific scholarships
- External minority scholarships
- External national scholarship programs
Applications will be accepted from undergraduate students enrolled full-time in a degree-seeking program on the IU Bloomington campus. The study abroad experience must take place during the period immediately following applications. Applications submitted for retroactive reimbursement will not be considered. Students in any one of the following programs are eligible to apply:
- 21st Century Scholars Program
- Groups Scholars Program
- Hudson & Holland Scholars Program
- Academic Support Center (ASC OVPDEMA-funded tutors only)
- FASE Mentoring Program (FASE Mentors only)
Applicants must be in good disciplinary and academic standing at the time of application and must maintain academic progress toward degree completion to receive the scholarship award. To receive OVPDEMA study abroad scholarships, students need to have minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5. Students with a lower than 2.5 GPA may submit an appeal letter to the OVPDEMA Study Abroad Scholarship selection committee. Appeal decisions are made by the committee on a case-by-case basis. The appeal letter should address the following three questions and must not exceed 500 words.
- Explanation of low GPA (below 2.5)
- Why the study abroad experience will help the applicant
- What the applicant is planning to do to bring his/her GPA up after the study abroad experience
Students must be accepted to an IU Study Abroad program that offers credit, as listed under the IU Office of Overseas Study programs. Some IU departmental programs that have study abroad components are acceptable. Short-term programs, which may vary in length from ten days to three weeks, may not be eligible for this scholarship. Applicants must comply with IU Office of Overseas Study policies and regulations. Graduating seniors must set their graduation date for the term in which their study abroad program ends. Students who plan to graduate before they complete their study abroad experience are not eligible. Students who demonstrate financial need will be given special consideration. Students receiving a full scholarship from another source are not eligible for this study abroad scholarship. Students who receive the 21st Century Scholars Covenant Summer Study Abroad Grant are not eligible for OVPDEMA Study Abroad Scholarship.
Application Process and Requirements
The application deadline for Summer and Fall 2015 programs is March 9, 2015. All application materials must be received by the deadline. Incomplete applications or applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
The application essay should answer the following questions:
- Why do you want to undertake your program abroad?
- How will your study abroad contribute to your academic and/or professional growth?
- How will your study abroad contribute to your potential to give back to others?
Essays cannot exceed 250 words. Applications with essays longer than 250 words will not be accepted. We recommend typing your essay in MS Word (check the spelling and character count; character count is under the word count tool) and then pasting it into the application.
The OVPDEMA Study Abroad Scholarship does not accept paper applications. All application materials must be submitted via email to email@example.com.
Recommendation forms (3)
Submit three letters of recommendation (at least one recommender must be an IU faculty member, preferably from your major). To determine if a person is "faculty," please use IU Address Book. It must say 'Faculty' under 'Affiliation.' Graduate students are not considered faculty. Recommendation letters from family members will not be accepted. Letters from friends are only suitable if they attest to the applicants' work ethic or academic ability. Please find a downloadable recommendation form here.
Selection and Notification
The scholarship committee will rate applications based on the following selection criteria:
- Quality of the applicant’s response to the scholarship essay (250 words maximum)
- Quality of the recommendation forms (one recommendation form must be from an IU faculty member)
- Applicant’s cumulative grade point average
- Country of destination. Students are encouraged to consider studying in a non-traditional destination within the following regions of the world: Africa, Asia, Central or South America, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East. Browse the IU Office of Overseas Study list of IU programs and destinations.
- Limited previous experience abroad. Preference will be given to students who do not have extensive travel or study abroad experience.
- Duration of the applicant’s study abroad program. Preference will be given to summer and semester-long programs.
- Whether previous recipients of OVPDEMA study abroad scholarships. Preference will be given to students who previously have not received OVPDEMA study abroad scholarships.
Scholarship awards will range from $500 to $4,000. Scholarship award notifications will be sent electronically; applicants should be sure a correct email address is provided. Scholarship funds will post to the awardee's Statement of Account with the Indiana University Office of the Bursar. Award recipients will be required to attend a reception and submit a short report within the academic year following the study abroad program. Questions about OVPDEMA's Study Abroad Scholarship Program or the application process should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Spring 2015 Study Abroad Scholarship Application."