OVPDEMA's Study Abroad Scholarship
The application submission deadline for Summer 2014 programs has passed. Submissions are no longer being accepted.
Scholarship applications are reviewed by a scholarship committee within the Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs (OVPDEMA) after the posted deadline. Students may only receive the Study Abroad Scholarship once. This scholarship is not intended to pay for an entire study abroad program, but rather to assist students in covering some of the costs associated with international study.
Applications will be accepted from undergraduate students enrolled full-time in a degree-seeking program on the IU Bloomington campus. The study abroad experience must take place during the period immediately following applications. Applications submitted for retroactive reimbursement will not be considered.
Students in any one of the following programs are eligible to apply:
Applicants must be in good disciplinary and academic standing at the time of application and must maintain academic progress toward degree completion to receive the scholarship award.
Students must be accepted to an IU Study Abroad program that offers credit, as listed under the IU Office of Overseas Study programs. Short-term programs, which may vary in length from ten days to three weeks, may not be eligible for this scholarship. Applicants must comply with IU Office of Overseas Study policies and regulations. Graduating seniors must set their graduation date for the term in which their study abroad program ends. Students who plan to graduate before they complete their study abroad experience are not eligible.
Students who demonstrate financial need will be given special consideration. Students receiving a full scholarship from another source are not eligible for this study abroad scholarship.
The scholarship committee will rate applications based on the following selection criteria:
- Quality of the applicant's response to the scholarship essay (500 words maximum).
- Applicant's cumulative grade point average.
- Country of destination. Students are encouraged to consider studying in a non-traditional destination within the following regions of the world: Africa, Asia, Central or South America, Eastern Europe, or the Middle East. Browse the IU Office of Overseas Study list of IU programs and destinations.
- Limited previous experience abroad. Preference will be given to students who do not have extensive travel or study abroad experience.
- Duration of the applicant’s study abroad program; preference will be given to summer and semester-long programs.
Application Process and Requirements
Application deadline for Summer 2014 programs: March 10, 2014. Incomplete applications or applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.Submit a complete application by deadline:
- Application form with registration information and essay question. The application essay should answer the following questions:
- Why do you want to undertake your program abroad?
- How will your study abroad contribute to your academic and/or professional growth?
- How will your study abroad contribute to your potential to give back to others?
The OVPDEMA Study Abroad Scholarship does not accept paper applications. All application materials must be submitted via email.
Recommendations and References
Submit three letters of recommendation (at least one recommender must be an IU faculty member, preferably from your major). Graduate students are not considered faculty. Please find a downloadable recommendation form here.
Submit the OVPDEMA program director form to the director of the program in which you are currently enrolled and receiving services: GROUPS, HHSP, or 21st Century Scholars Program. Please find a downloadable OVPDEMA program director form here.
Plan to attend the information session on February 26, 2014, at 4:00 p.m., Bridgwaters Lounge, Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.
Plan to participate in a brief meeting with the OVPDEMA Study Abroad Scholarship committee after submission of the application. An OVPDEMA representative will contact you to schedule an appointment.
Selection and Notification
Scholarship awards will range from $500 to $4000.
Scholarship award notifications will be sent electronically, so applicants should be sure a correct email address is provided. Scholarship funds will post to the awardee's Statement of Account with the Indiana University Office of the Bursar.
Award recipients will be required to attend a reception and submit a short report within the academic year following the study abroad program.
Questions about OVPDEMA's Study Abroad Scholarship Program or the application process should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Summer 2014 Study Abroad Scholarship Application."