IU presents statement to express commitment to student welfare and safety
Friday, April 11, 2014
During the Indiana University Board of Trustees meeting this morning, Vice President Simmons presented the Student Welfare Statement below to the trustees, asking them to affirm it on behalf of Indiana University.
INDIANA UNIVERSITY'S COMMITMENT TO STUDENT WELFARE
To address the unacceptable incidence of sexual assault and similar crimes on U.S. college campuses, Indiana University is committed—
- To take vigorous steps to prevent sexual assault and similar crimes through education and training, including education on the effects of alcohol on the issue of consent;
- To help build in our community a robust culture that rejects such conduct and associated behaviors;
- To encourage bystanders to intervene to avoid a sexual assault from occurring or to report such crimes to university officials or local authorities, and to fully account for such reports under federal law;
- To support victims with full information about available resources, to assist victims in accessing resources, and at all times to exhibit personal care and concern to victims;
- To investigate thoroughly and objectively all reports of sexual assault and other crimes, and to cooperate fully with local law enforcement and prosecutors;
- To conduct university proceedings arising from sexual assault and other crimes with the highest degree of professionalism, assuring fairness and dignity to all participants.