The Department of Communication and Culture was dissolved in the summer of 2015.
If you are a Communication and Culture PhD student completing your degrees, you will find the information you need on the other pages on this site.
If you are an undergraduate majoring or minoring in Communication and Culture, or intending to do so, please read the information below.
If you are visiting this site to find information about former Communication and Culture faculty, please read the information below.
The Communication and Culture graduate program is not admitting new students, including the PhD minor.
For alternative graduate programs on campus related to Communication and Culture's areas of research and learning see as follows:
- Film and Media Studies: The Media School
- Performance and Ethnography: The Department of Anthropology
- Rhetoric and Public Culture: The Department of English
Current Communication and Culture PhD students will complete their degrees according to the existing degree requirements.
For students who matriculated at IUB before Summer 2015:
- The deadline for seniors to declare a CMCL major is May 4, 2018. After that time, students may no longer declare this major. This applies to students already in the College, those who later certify or enter through a school change, or add a second major. This also applies to students who add a concurrent second degree.
- The deadline to declare a CMCL minor is May 4, 2018. After that time, students may no longer declare this minor. This applies to students already in the College, those who later certify or enter through a school change, or add a second major. This also applies to students who add a concurrent second degree.
- Those pursuing a CMCL BA have until May 2018 graduation to complete their degree under the requirements in force at the time of their matriculation.
The last opportunity for certification (admission) from University Division (UD) into the College of Arts and Sciences for the CMCL BA will be February 2016. Thus, UD students who have not certified to the College by February 2016 will be able to declare only the new Media School degree objectives or choose a different major, even if they matriculated to IUB before Summer 2015.
Students completing the CMCL major or minor requirements must choose only former CMCL classes, which have now moved to the Media School (MSCH), English (ENG-R), Anthropology (ANTH), or African American and African Diaspora Studies (AAAD). Only certain classes in these departments count. Please see this page on the Media School web site to access charts that will help you determine which classes count as CMCL: http://mediaschool.indiana.edu/degrees-2/undergraduate-curriculum/courses/
Undergraduate students should consult with Jay Showalter (email@example.com) for advice on how to finish your CMCL degree and to select appropriate courses for the major and minor.
If you are looking for undergraduate classes which used to be taught in the Department of Communication and Culture:
- For film and media classes look at the B.A. in Media and the concentrations in Cinema and Media Arts: Studies and Production; and Media Technologies and Cultures.
- For rhetoric classes look at the B.A. in English and the Minor in Communication and Public Advocacy.
- For performance and ethnography classes look in the Department of Anthropology.
The Department of Communication and Culture's fields of research and learning embraced interconnected areas rhetoric and public culture, performance and ethnography, and film and media studies.
In fall 2015, Communication and Culture faculty relocated to the Media School, the Department of English, the Department of Anthropology, and the Department of African American and African Diaspora Studies (AAADS).
For further details see the Communication and Culture faculty page.