M.A. Application Instructions
General Application Requirements
- Required Application Materials:
- GRE scores: No minimum required score. Applicants should use the general GRE code (1324) for The University Graduate School at Indiana University. The Graduate School will then transmit scores to CLACS.
- Official transcripts from each undergraduate institution attended (please see note below).
- 3 letters of recommendation (preferably from university faculty members familiar with your academic work).
- Personal Statement: the CLACS Admissions Committee will read statements of up to 1000 words in length about your past studies, research, and work related to Latin America, and about how those experiences prepare and motivate you for graduate work in Latin American Studies. You should also indicate the principal academic interests that you intend to pursue through the M.A. program, and why you consider Indiana University a good “fit” for those interests. Finally, you should explain how the M.A. in Latin American Studies fits within your longer-term academic and professional goals. On all of these points, try to offer as much as you can in the way of specific details that will help the Committee get to know you, your experiences, and your interests.
- Optional Application Materials:
- One (1) sample of your academic writing, preferably no more than 30 pages in length.
- One (1) resume or CV.
Dual Degree Students
Students who enter into the Dual-Degree program must be admitted to both programs separately and thus applications must be completed at the same time. However, students can apply for the second degree program while enrolled as a Masters Student at the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies. If students are considering this option it must be noted that many programs at Indiana University do not count classes that have been taken before formal enrollment in their program towards the program degree requirements. Students must take care to check with individual programs for complete guidelines.
- For international applicants, the priority date for application is December 1st
- Applicants who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents should begin their application process at the website of the Office of International Admissions.
- Applicants whose native language is not English must submit results from the TOEFL exam.
- International applicants must have their official transcripts/certificates and financial documents sent to the Office of International Admission (OIA) for evaluation. All other supporting documents may be sent to OIA as well, or directly to CLACS for faster processing.
Important Information about Transcripts
Please note that if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who has completed your undergraduate degree outside of the U.S., you must fill out the Supplemental Application for Admission and send it along with an official transcript to the Office of International Admissions (OIA). OIA will then validate that your degree is equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in the United States and send the information back to CLACS. As this can often take over a month to process, we highly recommend that the transcript and Supplemental Application be sent to the OIA by December 1st. All other materials for U.S. citizens/permanent residents are not due until January 15th.
Contact Katie Novak, the CLACS Academic Secretary at katinova[at]indiana.edu with any questions about the M.A. program.