Admission Requirements :: Graduate Programs
Students may apply for Fall or Spring admission consideration by completing an online application. Application deadlines:
- Fall admission
- December 1 (international)
- January 15 (US citizen or permanent resident)
- Spring admission
- September 15 (both international and US citizen or permanent resident)
Applications must be complete (transcripts, recommendations, test scores, etc.) by January 15.
Requirements for Consideration to CEUS MA program
Application for admission includes:
- Application completed online by deadline.
- Statement of purpose 500 words or less uploaded to your online application. Statement should include:
- coherent reason(s) for wanting to do graduate work, particularly in this department
- interest in study in a discipline, not just, e.g., desire to learn language(s)
- Three letters of recommendation submitted online or by mail directly from the recommender. The letters should address and evaluate student's academic progress and potential. Preferably three but at least two of the recommendations must be academic recommendations.
- One original transcript from each college/university you attended including those where you did not earn a degree.
- Undergraduate record must show at least two years of a single foreign language at the college level or the equivalent
- Grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or above.
- Supplemental form required for all US citizen's or permanent resident with any coursework at a non-US institution unless the coursework appears on a US transcript.
- Original GRE scores for all domestic and international applicants. Scores no more than 5 years old. GRE institutional code 1324; Department code 5199. Scores should be at least 600 in either the verbal or quantitative in the old scoring system. Scores should be at least 148 quantitative or 160 verbal in the new scoring system. The preferred analytical writing score is 4.5 or higher. These scores are College of Arts and Sciences guidelines. If your scores fall below the recommendation you can still be considered for admission if other areas of your application are strong.
- TOEFL scores for all international applicants of 550 or higher for paper exam, 213 or higher for computer-based exam, or 79 or higher for internet-based exam. Scores must not be more than 2 years old.
- Writing sample and CV not required.
For domestic applicants all application materials sent by mail should be mailed to:
Central Eurasian Studies
Goodbody Hall 157
1011 E. 3rd Street
Bloomington, IN 47405-7005
For International applicants all transcripts should be mailed to:
400 E. Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405
Requirements for Consideration to CEUS Ph.D program
We currently do not offer direct admission to our Ph.D program even if you have a previous MA degree. If certain requirements are met you may be considered for our Ph.D program at any time after you matriculate. The requirements are:
- MA with thesis in a relevant field.
- GPA of 3.5 or above.
- Testing out of the intermediate level of your Language of Specialization by passing CEUS administer exam. CEUS will administer exams the week prior to the start of each semester.
- Testing out of one research language approved by your advisor and CEUS Director of Graduate Studies.