This class offers an introduction to basic communication skills in Kazakh. During the course students become familiar with the sounds, alphabet, and basic grammar of the language. Upon finishing the course, learners will be able to use Kazakh in basic communicative contexts. Readings, class discussions,and listening activities are adopted from Kazakh language media programs. Films and extracurricular cultural activities help learners to develop an awareness of the Kazakh culture.
Required Textbooks and Class Materials
- Krippes, Karl A. Kazak (Qazaq)-English Dictionary.
Suggested texts and materials
- Ibragimov, Kanat. Kazakh Tili. 2004.
- Kubayeva, Iraida. Kazakh language Made Easy. Alamaty: 2003.
- Sariyeva, Kulpash. We speak Kazakh.
- Intensive course of Kazakh language. 2003.
- Sukhbat. Kazakh in dialogues.
- Ibragimov, Ablakhat. Beginning Kazakh. (CD). University of Arizona Press.
- Daily homework, weekly quizzes and tests, a midterm and final exam.
- Attendance and active participation are also part of the final grade.