- Central Eurasian Studies >> Courses >> Course List
- Middle Iranian Languages: Manichaean
- Catalog Number CEUS-U 399/520
- Jamsheed Choksy
The course provides an introduction to the alphabets, grammar, vocabulary, reading, translation, and analysis of texts in Manichaean Middle Persian and Parthian. Documents are drawn from manuscripts and manuscript fragments. Religious and social materials from the third century through twelfth century ce will be examined.
Prerequisites: None. Open to undergraduates and graduate students with instructor’s permission.
- Class attendance.
- Preparation of grammar, readings, translations, and vocabulary for each class session.
- Reading in Manichaean Middle Persian and Parthian followed by translation into English during each class session.
- Students must meet with instructor at least once during office hours.
- In–class reading of Manichaean Middle Persian and Parthian followed by translation into English (60% of overall grade).
- Class attendance (20% of overall grade).
- Informed and appropriate participation during discussions (20% of overall grade).
- The overall or final grade will be assigned upon completion of the course.