- Central Eurasian Studies >> Courses >> Course List
- Introductory Ottoman Turkish II
- CEUS-T 686
- Kemal Silay
“Introductory Ottoman Turkish II” is the continuation of “Introductory Ottoman Turkish I.” The class prepares students for a smooth transition toward reading and understanding printed but authentic Ottoman materials. Near the end of the semester students are also introduced to some manuscripts in an effort to prepare them for higher level Ottoman courses. Even though the course will emphasize reading, students can expect to develop their writing skills, as well. Additionally, relevant Arabic and Persian grammar will be incorporated into the lectures and exercises.
- Students will be given assignments as homework after each contact hour.
- All readings and exercises will be provided by the instructor.
- Non-native speakers of Turkish are encouraged to carry a Turkish-English and English-Turkish pocket dictionary with them to class.
- Attendance and class participation: 25%
- Weekly exercises: 25%
- Midterm: 25%
- Final Exam: 25%