This class offers basic communication skills in Kazakh and familiarizes students with the basic grammar of the language. Studets will learn to speak and comprehend simple to moderately complex sentences. Through readings, class conversations, listening to Kazakh language media programs, film viewing, and cultural activities, students will also develop an awareness of the Kazakh culture.
Because of the lack of textbooks, teaching materials from different sources will be used. Students will be given handouts and copies.
In Introductory Kazakh, students will learn the following grammatical forms:
- Present tense: simple and continuous.
- Simple past.
- Simple future.
- Adjectives: comparative and superlative.
- Modal verbs: obligations, physical possibilities, permission.
In addition, students will study the following topics and the related vocabulary:
- Shopping: buying and selling, food, restaurants, and dress.
- Animals: domestic and wild, birds
- Nature: description of landscape, trees, flowers
- Transport and traveling: accommodations, time, schedule, arrangements.
- Entertainment: culture, movie culture, music, sports
- Traditions and customs: national holidays, games and religion
- People description: appearance and character
Textbooks and Class Materials
- Ibragimov, Kanat. Kazakh Tili. 2004.
- Kubayeva, Iraida. Kazakh language Made Easy. Alamaty: 2003.
- Sariyeva, Kulpash. We speak Kazakh.
- Intensive course of Kazakh language. 2003.
- Sukhbat. Kazakh in dialogues.
- Ibragimov, Ablakhat. Beginning Kazakh. (CD). University of Arizona Press.
- Kyryshzhanova, Alya. Textbook for Introductory Level.
- Krippes, Karl A. Kazak (Qazaq)-English Dictionary.
- Homework (15%)
- Translations of work have to be submitted in typed form.
- Handwritten assignments have to be neat and legible.
- Attendance and participation (10%)
- Weekly tests and quizzes (15%)
- Each week there will be a test or quiz based on new materials covered in the classroom.
- Exams (45%)
- Midterm exam (20%)
- Final exam (25%)
- Oral and comprehension exam (15%)
- The dates will be announced in advance.