- Create a course account
- Upload questions
- Create an activity
- Upload the roster
Working as a co-owner of a departmental account,
a departmental secretary needs to do four things to set up a course evaluation:
1. Create a course account.
- It is recommended that you use some systematic naming scheme for
course evaluation accounts so that you can manage a large number of courses.
- Course accounts are normally named after the course number, e.g. A123.
But as co-owners of departmental accounts,
secretaries can create accounts with names longer than four characters.
- Since students will evaluate individual instructors, it may be helpful
to include the instructor's username, e.g. A123-smith.
- To avoid conflict with previous semesters, it may be helpful to add
the section number, e.g. 4567-A123-smith.
- You may want to put the section number at the start.
The accounts will then be sorted by section number.
Courses within a department for a given semester are assigned adjacent section numbers,
so this will also help keep sections of the current semester together
when you display the list of courses.
2. Upload questions.
- Either the department uses a standard set of questions for all courses,
or each instructor is allowed to choose his or her own questions.
- If the instructor chooses the items through the
On-line Course Evaluation Item Selection,
he or she now has the option of saving the questions and/or mailing them to you.
- The instructor can click the Display button,
save the questions in text format and then mail them to you as an attachment.
- Save the attachment as a file and download it using FTP to your PC.
- If the instructor sends you the file in HTML format,
you will need to remove the HTML tags at the top and bottom of the file
and only save the portion between the <pre> and </pre> tags.
- From the QuizSite Main Menu, in the Questions column, select Upload.
- Click Browse, locate the file, and click Proceed.
- Check that the questions are correct and click Upload to confirm.
- If the instructor chooses the questions but does not mail them to you,
- From the Main Menu, in the Questions column, select Upload.
You will see a list of sets of instructor-chosen questions, sorted by date.
- Select the questions that correspond to the instructor, course and section and click Upload.
- Click Upload again to confirm.
- You can also copy questions from an existing course evaluation account
using the Course Account menu.
3. Create an activity.
- From the QuizSite Main Menu, in the Activities column, select Edit.
- Typical activity settings for a course evaluation would look like this:
- The name of the evaluation activity can be whatever you or the instructor chooses,
e.g. CourseEvaluation, MidtermEvaluation, or FinalEvaluation.
- Make sure that the activity topic (normally eval) corresponds to the
topics in all the questions, e.g. SELECT(eval).
- You can specify instructions at the top of the course evaluation.
After you create the activity, from the QuizSite Main Menu,
in the Activities column, select Instructions.
- You may want to include a heading with your department name and
"Instructor/Course Evaluation" in the instructions.
- You can copy activities from an existing course evaluation account
from the Course Account menu.
4. Upload the roster.
- The instructor will need to obtain the roster from the Registrar
and forward it to you through e-mail.
- From the QuizSite Main Menu, in the Roster column, select Upload.