Sarah Bassett | Faculty
Associate Professor, Department of History of Art
Director of Graduate Studies
Adjunct Associate Professor of Classical Studies
Affliate: Russian and East European Institute,
Ph.D. Bryn Mawr College, 1985
M.A. University of Chicago, 1980
B.A. Smith College, 1976
- late antique, early medieval and Byzantine aesthetics
- late antique portraiture
- early Christian icons
- the reception of the classical past in late antiquity and the Byzantine middle ages
- late antique and early medieval urbanism
- The Urban Image of Late Antique Constantinople
- (Cambridge University Press, 2004)
- "The Late Antique Image of Menander," Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Studies 48 (2008): 201-25.
- "Style and Meaning in the Imperiall Panels at San Vitale" Artibus et Historiae 57 (2008): 49-57.
- "'Excellent offerings': the Lausos Collection in Constantinople," Art Bulletin, 72 (2000): 6-2.
- "Historiae custos: sculpture and tradition in the Baths of Zeuxippos, "American Journal of Archaeology, 100 (1996) 491-506.
- "Antiquities in the Hippodrome of Constantinople, " Dumbarton Oaks Papers 45 (1992) 82-9.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, American Research Institute in Turkey
- Fellow, Byzantine Studies, Dumbarton Oaks Research Library and Collection
- Fellow, National Endowment for the Humanities
- Introduction to Ancient and Medieval Art (A101)
- Problems in Byzantine Art (A626)
- Topics in Medieval Art: Art & Architecture in the 6th Century (A329)
- Byzantine Art (A425)
- Survey of Medieval Art (A226)
- Problems in Early Christian Art (A621)
- Early Medieval Art (A321)
- Early Christian Art (A421)